Research shows that demonstrating kindness makes us happier and healthier, inspires kindness in others, reduces stress and triggers the release of the feel-good chemical oxytocin in our bodies, which is great for our hearts and extremely sexy, IYKWIM. I cannot wait for to party with you all act-of-kindness style next week!
If this is the first you’ve heard of #SparkleFriday, visit this post for details. You can also RSVP on the Facebook event page for more ideas and reminders. In short, participants are engaging in whatever act of kindness we choose. Then on November 28th—aka, Black Friday—we’ll each post a photo and/or description with the hashtag #SparkleFriday on Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram. (If you post yours on a blog, include #SparkleFriday in the post title.) Feel free to invite your friends or engage your whole family!
In case you could use some ideas, here are some simple ways to bring more light into the world through kindness.
Acts of Kindness: 31 Groovy Ideas
- Donate food, clothes or holiday gifts to a shelter.
- Sponsor an animal or child.
- Commit to a day (or longer) of no complaining.
- Rake or shovel your neighbor’s lawn or driveway.
- Bring treats to your workplace, or someone else’s.
- Sign up for iGive, so money you spend online supports your favorite charity.
- Send a Secret Santa gift to a friend or acquaintance.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen, or anywhere.
- Plant a tree in someone’s memory.
- Make amends with someone.
- Send a thank you note to someone, or post it online.
- Invite someone over for a holiday meal.
- Bring baked goods to a neighbor you’ve never met.
- Do a chore a loved one loathes for them.
- Make a point of giving people genuine compliments.
- Replace negative self-talk with gratitude.
- Create art for someone.
- Pay someone’s expired parking meter.
- Leave a huge tip for a server (particularly if you dine out on Thanksgiving).
- Pay for the order of whoever’s behind you in a drive-through.
- Host a pajama party.
- Call a loved one you miss.
- Review books, companies or products you love (especially those newer/lesser known).
- Stop using your phone while driving.
- Text a unique compliment to everyone on your phone list.
- Foster or adopt a rescue pet.
- Commit to eating fewer animal products.
- Collect and recycle items from a litter-ridden area.
- Purchase energy saving household goods/appliances.
- Practice self-care you’ve been lacking.
- Spend quality time with someone.
Huge thanks to all of you who are joining us. It’s going to be a sparkly blast! ♥
Kassandra Lamb says
This is an awesome event, August, and I love the name Sparkle Friday! It’s great how you’re spreading the love this holiday season. So many people react to perceived pressures this time of year by losing sight of the most important parts of the season: loving and giving. Thanks for reminding us.
August McLaughlin says
I’m so glad you’re joining us, Kristina! It really can become a stressful time of year. Kindness is such a great soother.
Raani York says
I cannot wait for this! I hope I’ll be able to be part of it.
August McLaughlin says
Yay! I hope so too, Raani! Even simple gestures and posts will work wonderfully.
spinal traction philadelphia says
Aww! Super lovely ideas! Kindness definitely breeds kindness so commit a random act of kindness everyday. If only all of us can do such it can really make a huge difference in this crazy world now. Thank you for sharing this inspiring post!
spinal traction philadelphia