“Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is.” — Mae West
Do you find personality as fascinating as I do? Merriam-Webster defines it as “the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual’s distinctive character.” Influenced by everything from our genetics and upbringing to the culture and time in which we live, our personalities play significant roles in nearly everything we do. Yep! Including sex. We’ll get to that shortly.
Last week, the totally boob-o-riffic Susie Lindau talked about the Typealyzer over on Peg-o-Leg’s Ramblings. By comparing texts within a website, Typealyzer assesses its personality type, based on Myers-Briggs. (Myers-Briggs is a question and answer based personality tool derived from psychologist Carl Jung’s research and philosophies.) When I entered my blog URL into Typealyzer, the results came out wonky. When I entered my main website, which encompasses all all of my work, though, I was tickled. The results matched my Myers-Briggs profile and what others seem to perceive about me. Here is my brain on Typealyzer:
Extraverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging (ENFJ)
Notable ENFJs: Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Johann von Goethe, Michael Moore, Oprah Winfrey, Kate Winslet, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Zack de la Rocha and Wedge Antilles
Common satisfying careers: Journalist, Editor, Social Worker, Event Coordinator, Teacher, PR Manager, Clergy, Speaker, Writer, Psychologist
So I had to know: Do I, Oprah and Mandela have the same sexual personalities?!? Since I don’t know them well enough to ask, I decided to investigate on my own.
We addressed sensitivity and sexuality somewhat in my post, “Am I Happier Single?” Learning to Love and Hyper-Sensitivity. But sensitivity is just one important personality factor. Today I decided to introduce my Girl Boner to Isabel Briggs Myers and Katharine Cook Briggs. (Hello, ladies!)
What follows is just for kicks, but I have to say—there’s truth in it! After you peruse my sexual personality profile (and yours, if you’re an ENFJ), I hope you’ll try the sexercise yourself. Drawing quotes from my Myers-Briggs profile and Typealyzer’s analysis, and adding two choice words, here is a glimpse at my potential Girl Boner personality:
- I am especially attuned to harmonic relationships in bed. (Cue music!)
- I live in possibilities and make things happen in bed. (I ♥ dreaming…)
- I’m a skilled communicator in bed. (Translation: over-talkative.)
- I can be overly sensitive in bed. (Pros and cons here, but yes.)
- I’m so externally focused that it’s especially important for me to spend time alone. (Important for GBs and all else, but ugh. Not in bed.)
- I may also have the tendency to be hard on myself and turn to dark thoughts when alone. (Historically, yes. And sex helps!)
- I’m energetic and fast-paced in bed. (Va-va-va-VROOM!)
- I excel at picking up the tone of situations and acting accordingly in bed, adding warmth to cool settings and turning sour into sweet. (I may have to research this one. Does eating cake before—er, never mind.)
- I have a talent for making people feel good in bed. (I hope so!)
- I’m straightforward and honest in bed. (Blurt-style, yes.)
- I enjoy working with people in bed. (Um…)
- I tend to be more reserved about exposing myself than other extraverted types in bed. (Not sure…?)
- I may feel quite lonely even when surrounded by people in bed. (Pending research.)
- I don’t like dealing with impersonal reasoning in bed. (Duh! Or anywhere.)
- What satisfies me most is helping others reach their full potential in bed. (GIRL BONER POWER!)
- I’m often highly productive in bed, but may find myself feeling unappreciated. (Note to self: Request pity sex and greater praise.)
- I have a strong need for close, intimate relationships in bed. (Usually. ;))
- As a giving nurturer, I need to remember to value my own needs as well as the needs of others. (Note to self: Buy that sex toy you’ve been eyeing…)
- I get excited about possibilities and the future, but can easily become restless in bed. (Manageable, but yes! Bring on the quickies.)
Okay, so it’s a bit like entertaining horoscopes. Even so, I see a lot of myself—sexually and otherwise—in my Myers-Briggs type. And I’d LOVE to hear tidbits from yours.
To play along, pop over to Typealyzer.com and enter your blog or homepage URL to receive your personality analysis. To skip the URL analysis and simply glance over the types or take the quiz, visit My MBTI Personality Type. Then come on back and share a few highlights—the more the merrier! Add “in bed” where it fits, and let me know if it jives well with your Girl Boner (or Boy Boner) style.
Does your Myers-Briggs profile match your sexual style? If you took the Typealyze test, what did you think? How are you…IN BED?